The federal government is increasing its regional migration program intake from 23,000 to 25,000 after a strong start to the initiative this financial year.
The federal government is increasing intake under its regional migration program from 23,000 to 25,000 after the initial success of the initiative. Under the program announced earlier this year, 23,000 places would be reserved for migrants who commit to live and work in regional Australia.
If they commit to live and work in the regions for at least three years, they will eligible for permanent residency.
Immigration Minister David Colman said 6000 visas were approved under the program in the first three months of this financial year, compared with under 3000 in the final quarter of 2018/19 and prior to the initiative getting underway.
"So we have seen a very strong start to the year in encouraging regional migration,' Mr Coleman told reporters in Sydney on Saturday.
"We will be increasing the allocation for regional places in our immigration scheme for this year, from 23,000 to 25,000."